PALS stands for Promoting Acceptance of Language Students, which is, essentially, our main goal.
PALS stands for Promoting Acceptance of Language Students, which is, essentially, our main goal. PALS has been running successfully for several years, with the help of students from local secondary schools, who have contributed to the fantastic work that the scheme does.
The scheme involves young local people who:
- Integrate with our students
- Attend activities
- Assist in showing students the Devon area
- Interact with them to ensure they feel welcome
- Encourage all students to be involved
- Help monitor behaviour and report any concerns or issues to staff
“A worthy project that is very effective” British Council
The PALS Scheme
The scheme was set up by Country Cousins in collaboration with Devon & Cornwall Police, and has won several awards over the past few years, including:
- Pride in Ilfracombe Award (2010)
- Crime Beat Award (2010)
- ELTons Award for Local Innovation (2014)
The ELTons Award is an extremely prestigious award, given through the British Council. Country Cousins is the only school to have ever won this award and the judges described it as “a worthy project that is very effective”.
We have a lot of brilliant PALS already, and new ones are joining us every summer!